fot

[Fot] TR3 main seal question

To: "Friends of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] TR3 main seal question
From: "Steve Belfer" <colordog.1@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 11:10:42 -0700
I've just dissassembled my spare TR3 race motor and taken the parts to a local
machine shop and here's a silly question.  When looking at the two aluminum
half-circle's that bolt up to the block with the eight bolts (the main seal
assy.)  What the heck keeps the oil IN?  I see three or four grooves on the
crank where it fits into the seal that appear to match up with the grooves
inside the seal.  If the crank spins freely, what exactly keeps the
pressurized oil from blowing past this circular seal?

Please, no leaky triumph jokes ;)

~Steve