fot

Re: [Fot] TR3 main seal question

To: gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com, ryoung@navcomtech.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR3 main seal question
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:08:29 EDT
In a message dated 8/13/07 7:49:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com writes:

<< The problem with the original seals is that there is excessive clearance
 between the crankshaft scroll and the aluminum housing. The factory setup
 gives .012" clearance on the diameter. That is just to much. We have been
 "remanufacturing " the seal housing and bringing the clearance down to .006"
 on the diameter. >>

The best luck I have had to minimize leakage (not stop it) was to not take
the original seal off of the block.  Of course if you are going to have the
block boiled or line bored, you have to.

The original seals seem to be of a better quality than the after market seals
you buy today, and that the British were good at centralizing them.  I have
installed several of these seals using a mandrel a machinist made for me, which
Hardy says is slightly off size.  If I get into trouble again, I will take a
bunch of micrometer readings on the mandrel, and probably try one of Greg's
seals.  Most people racing TR's leave off the bottom transmission dust covers.
This will hopefully allow any leakage to escape and not oil the clutch.
<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Get a sneak peek of the
all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>