fot

[Fot] Fwd: All Alluminum Tour is Over

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Fwd: All Alluminum Tour is Over
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:55:31 EDT
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Full-name: BillDentin
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:54:13 EDT
Subject: Re: [Fot] All Alluminum Tour is Over
To: Labs0808@aol.com

In a message dated 09/11/2007 1:57:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
Labs0808@aol.com writes:

> Before we start to build a bronze shrine to Bill let  us not forget that he
>
> is a aggressive driver who I believe made a clean but not  completely
> thought
> out partial pass. I did have a birds eye view as I was  gaining on the duo
> in
> the heat of battle.
>   They way I saw it was that Move to the outside was risky at best
> especially against a driver that he spent little  race time with,  and often
> has had a

Doug...

I suppose had you said, "GOLD or SILVER" I'd have found your opening line
more palatable, but I'd actually support a BRONZE shrine for Babcock.  I've
raced
with him twice this year at ROAD AMERICA, and also at BRAINERD, GRATTAN and
WATKINS GLEN.  I have no argument with your choice of the word 'aggressive'
when describing his driving style, but without adding the words 'very capable'
your sentence can be misleading to others.  Bill Babcock is a very capable, and
yes aggressive driver, or he would not end up in the front of the pack,
chasing and holding off far more hairy chested machinery.

I didn't have your front row seat behind the incident, so I should have no
opinion as to what happened in the incident, nor where fault lies.  The Thunder
Bolt had a frozen clutch, so I watched that Qualifying Race (my Race Group)
with Henry Frye at the fence between ONE and TWO.  Clearly there was a gaggle
of
cars up front (including Babcock) who were going at it tooth and nail.  Race
Group FOUR was very impressive, and full of aggressive driving.

But when I read Bill's text on the incident, he seemed far more concerned
about the other driver's post race attitude and lack of remorse for his part in
the incident.  Each driver has responsibility for a safe pass, but the majority
of that responsibility lies with the overtaking driver.  In this case that's
the Corvette, and the way I understand it, the Corvette hit the Peyote.  If
that's so, he ought to come back to the paddock willing to accept his portion
of
the guilt.

Bronze Shrine!  Are you aware of the Granite Shrine I built at ROAD AMERICA
for my racing partner, Bob Wismer?  It's the real deal.  It weighs over 4,000
pounds.  Of course, he never hit anybody and is not particularly aggressive.

Bill Dentinger