fot

Re: [Fot] Watkins Glen Host Hotel? 2008

To: westerneagleracing@worldnet.att.net, BillB@bnj.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] Watkins Glen Host Hotel? 2008
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:41:00 EDT
In a message dated 09/18/2007 10:17:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
westerneagleracing@worldnet.att.net writes:

> Seneca has the history.  My first Glen was in 1965.  I didn't have the
> money to stay there (college student and slept in my TR-3) but it is where
>the
> F-1 drives stayed.

Amici...

While I agree 100%, that any trip to WATKINS GLEN that did not include a stop
at the Seneca Lodge would be a mistake, I see no chance to making it an FOT
Headquarters.  That because, as Jack says, it is booked nearly 100% on a year
to year basis.  I'll also suggest that while you can't beat the history
involved, its rooms are somewhat 'primitive.'  If you can't get in, no big
loss.  BUT
for sure, plan to have dinner there (great steak house), and the bar is a
trip to road racing's past (also big for 'bow hunters').

The Beady Eye VINTAGE TRIUMPH Racing Team has been racing the GLEN for nearly
twenty years, and we have always stayed at the Marshall Manor Best Western in
Horseheads, New York.  Originally recommended by John Harkness, we are
already booked for next year.  About 25 minutes from the track, but we like it.

There is a restaurant adjacent called the Hickory House.  Looks like no more
than
an expanded tavern, but the wife is Chinese and the husband is Italian.
Their menu features both cultures.  Great food at tavern prices.  The Crab
Rangoo
rivals anything you'll get in San Francisco.

I agree one should be thinking about booking early, but in fact there are
plenty of hotels in the area.  Most are 20-30 minutes from the track.  Prices
will reflect the importance of that Zippo vintage week end.

Bill Dentinger