fot

[Fot] Spitfire mixture needles

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Spitfire mixture needles
From: Mike <mikee@ragtops.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:12:38 -0400
Greg,
    We've had similar problems on many different cars. The stock needles
don't provide enough fuel. Working with Joe Curto we've been able to
make most of them run OK by fitting richer needles to the detriment of
fuel economy.
    I think (unscientific theory with no hard evidence) that the problem
stems from the changes in gasoline formulations. As the 'quality' of the
fuel has changed over the years the energy in the fuel has diminished.
More fuel is needed to get the same performance.
    The problem with this idea is that only about 10% of the cars we
work on need this type of repair. Most of them run OK with the stock
setup, although sometimes adjusted as rich as it will go.

Mike Engard