fot

Re: [Fot] To hold the steering wheel in place for alignment

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>, "'jim hearn'"
Subject: Re: [Fot] To hold the steering wheel in place for alignment
From: "Steven Preiss" <spreiss@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 20:05:45 +1100
Just centering the wheel does not ensure that the steering is centered. My
TR3 has no doubt had the steering wheel removed many times! I've removed it
three or four times myself during the past two years of ownership. (Love
those trafficators!) To center of the steering one must measure the degrees
of rotation lock to lock and find the center point. The wheel position can
then can be adjusted as required to center it. It may take a couple of
tries, since the splines are quite closely spaced. Coincidentally,
adjustment of the steering box (And perhaps the rack and pinion, though I
have no experience with one) should also be performed at "center lock", as
is stated in the manuals. This results in the tightest steering action
throughout the movement without binding in the center, where wear is least.
Steve Preiss