fot

Re: [Fot] Roller Rockers on TR6

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Roller Rockers on TR6
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 19:18:26 -0600
Roller rockers are subject to a lot of debate, aren't they? I've not
seen actual dyno numbers that are meaningful, but I'd like to.

My two cents is based on flow bench readings.

What I have seen is that flow increases with valve lift at an
expected rate until you get to between .500 and .600 lift. The heads
I've done maxed out on flow at between those two numbers, with only
3  to 4 cfm increase in flow when increasing it above .500 lift. It
appears that the rest of the intake tract, namely port shape and
valve size, reach their limits before valve lift becomes limiting.

It's a different story if you compare flow rates of solid vs. roller
rockers on a stock cam. In that situation, the max lift on a stock
cam is much lower so roller rockers give more of an advantage.