fot

Re: [Fot] Roller Rockers

To: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>, Friends of Triumph
Subject: Re: [Fot] Roller Rockers
From: Allen Washatko <awashatko@wi.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 18:41:07 -0600
Bill,

That being said, the dyno tests involved a fully developed race engine
run with stock rockers and again with roller rockers. The difference
was 2 h.p. - maybe a 1-2% difference overall. Hardly close to a 10%
gain as some promise as a bolt on improvement (I would assume that this
figure is for a stock situation). It is clear that the pin bearing and
roller will reduce friction but the increased leverage will also add
more work at the tappet end. As in everything, there is a limit to
improvement. As machines become more refined, the next increment of
improvement usually becomes smaller and more difficult to obtain. My
point in asking the original question was whether or not roller rockers
really added more horsepower due to a longer valve duration assuming
that all the other bases were covered - friction aside. I would assume
that there is a limit to just how much air/fuel mixture you can suck
through a Triumph head as fully developed as it may be. The dyno test
would seem to suggest that.

Allen

Jody & Allen Washatko
N65 W5567 Columbia Road