fot

Re: [Fot] Valve cover breather

To: <DSPGTi@aol.com>, <N197TR4@cs.com>, <jwags@dotnet.com>,
Subject: Re: [Fot] Valve cover breather
From: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:58:07 -0800
Actually, I know this can be managed better, though what I know works best
with a dry sump. It's pretty easy to build a swirl can that will return the
oil to the crankcase. On my Radical I would put about a quart of oil in the
catch tank every 30 minute race. Obviously a problem for endurance races. I
made a swirl can with a helical separator structure inside--the oil/air vapor
from the breather went in at an angle in the bottom side (promoting swirl) and
exhausted through the top of the can. The oil that collected on the can sides
and the separator fell to the bottom and returned to the sump. If this went to
a catch can with a fairly restrictive filter on top that had a line going to
the divergent side of the header collector it would draw a slight vacuum on
the system and might reduce my general engine spewing. Might be worth fiddling
with. Not purely legal, but if an organization's tech guys didn't like it I
could just blank off the hose.