fot

Re: [Fot] Valve cover breather

To: DSPGTi@aol.com, N197TR4@cs.com, jwags@dotnet.com,
Subject: Re: [Fot] Valve cover breather
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 08:49:10 EST
In a message dated 12/30/2007 11:20:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
DSPGTi@aol.com writes:

I'm very  surprised any Vintage organization would allow any crank case
venting  connecting to the exhaust system. After all we are talking about oil
being
injected in the stream after combustion. It has been prohibited by SCCA as
long
as I can remember, however there appears to be no mention in the 1972  GCR
rules under the "oil catch tanks" section. The second oldest GCR that  I have
on
hand (2003 17.26) states the exact wording as the 2008 GCR: "A  crankcase
vacuum
breather that passes through the oil catch tank(s) to  exhaust systems or
vacuum devices that connect directly to exhaust systems  is prohibited."

This whole issue has nothing to do with what SCCA does or doesn't allow
unless you intend to race with them.

>From my point of view as a Vintage Guy running Vintage Races, my main
concern is providing as much quality track time to as many drivers, safely, as
possible.

This means starting at 8am and going steady until 6pm at most events for
three days.

It also means coming up with as many was as possible to prevent some GERBIL
from dumping slippery STUFF on the track. Then we spend the whole next session
 dragging in the BOZOS that wreck in the STUFF, not to mention actually
trying to  clean up the STUFF.

This is why we have permitted roller rockers, accusumps, even dry sumps in
certain classes. It also is primarily why we allow steel cranks and Carrillo
rods.

All these things help your reliability and if you are wise you will use  them
and still keep your RPM at a sane level. I can't control that but I know we
have gained a considerable amount of lost track time back since we started
this  concept.

If a suction crankcase vent keeps oil off the track, I am for it.

BTW, we have made "leakers" race worthy and gotten them through the weekend
by just zip-tying baby diapers under the offending leak and changing them
between sessions. Wouldn't that freak out an SCCA tech guy?

Ya gotta be creative and open minded in this business.

Jack Woehrle
SVRA Technical Director