fot

[Fot] valve cover venting

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] valve cover venting
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 16:08:53 -0600
The major hot rod suppliers sell a kit for this. It includes a pair
of pipes to weld into your exhaust headers, two one-way valves to
prevent backfires from blowing off your valve cover, and some misc
parts. Real cheap at something like $50..

I did this early on in my vintage career and when I mentioned it on
the net I got royally flamed. It's against the SCCA rules. I could
never understand the objection - after all, if you blow an engine,
you put the oil directly on the track. I never saw oil coming out of
my tailpipe. I took mine off - Joe left his on and continues to leak
less oil with the kit than without.

More substantive info, however, comes from my local speed shop. They
run a NHRA national championship engine and do a lot of dyno work.
They recently tested two systems that do this. One system uses a GM
air pump and pulls a negative pressure -- on their engine it added 20
hp to a 500 hp engine. That kit is commercially available for about
$500. They also tried the exhaust-sucked system and found it added no hp.

I still like it, though. Data be damned.

uncle jack