fot

Re: [Fot] Flow Bench Results

To: Allen Washatko <awashatko@wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Flow Bench Results
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 22:25:27 -0800
Modern flowbenches are pretty cool and fairly accurate as far as they
go, but I used to really enjoy going to Jerry Branch's shop and
watching him use his. His air bench blower source was (as I recall) a
6-71 Jimmy blower and a bodacious electric motor that dimmed the
lights on the Pike in Long Beach when he lit it off.

On Feb 1, 2008, at 7:38 PM, Allen Washatko wrote:

> OK, I understand the concept. I'll check tomorrow to see what the
> depression number is.
>
> Allen
>
> On Feb 1, 2008, at 9:32 PM, Michael Porter wrote:
>
>> Allen Washatko wrote:
>>> I have no idea what you are talking about.
>>> Allen
>>>

>> Umm, most flow benches do not have the power to pull enough air to
>> actually simulate the engine's actual operation (hundreds of SCFM),
>> so, there's some sort of correction based on the amount of air the
>> bench's blowers can move, based on the depression at the inlet (that
>> where the inches factor comes in).  The smaller the amount of air the
>> bench can move, the more likely it is that the correction factor
>> gives
>> an inaccurate measurement compared to actual engine operation.
>> Generally, the more air the bench equipment can move, the better the
>> estimate of CFM moving through the engine in real operation.
>>

>> Something like that. :)
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

>> --
>>

>> Michael Porter
>> Roswell, NM
>>

>> Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking
>> distance....
>>

> Jody & Allen Washatko
> N65 W5567 Columbia Road
> Cedarburg, WI. 53012