fot

[Fot] Fwd: Re: Re: Springs

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Fwd: Re: Re: Springs
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 13:44:16 -0600
Good advice from Ted.

I failed to mention that I had help on this project from Ted
Schumacher. He identified springs he had in stock that could be
modified to approach my specifications. Low price, quick delivery,
good quality. Try Ted first.

I purchased a set, modified and installed them. I have had a chance
to test them only on a limited basis because the test weekend was cut
short by other problems, but my initial reaction is that the car is
responding positively to stiffer springs. They are in the car at the
minute. I think it's going to be fun to do the comparison.

I went on to purchase a set of springs from Revington because they
were closer to the rate that I was shooting for. I don't know if the
car will handle any better with them. I'll have to wait until I have
a chance to try them. So if you are looking for a somewhat higher
rate than the popularly used MGB-GT springs, Ted's are some to consider.

Of course this raises a point that may provide fodder for discussions
well into Springtime -- how stiff should the springs in a TR4 be? I
know of springs in current race cars that are stock, springs that are
480 or so (MGBGT) and springs that are 600 lbs/in. Some folks say we
should use relatively soft springs and let the suspension do its job
-- but with the abominable front end geometry we have, one could
question why we would want the front end to move at all from static.
In addition, all the modern tracks we run on are as smooth as glass
(except Grattan, of course) so we're no longer looking at dealing with bumps.

There are lots of formulae around to help select spring stiffness.
I've never been smart enough to bring one of those engineering
approaches to completion, so decided to try some things and see what
feels best to my hind end.

> > Jack, when you receiove the springs, do a rate check. See how
> accurate they are. Ted

uncle jack