fot

Re: [Fot] Advice on Silverstones

To: DSPGTi@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] Advice on Silverstones
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 10:47:48 -0800
I'd only use them if you really enjoy surprises.

I'd bag them with some desiccant, and perhaps give them a nice coating
of the clear coat that they use for protecting travel trailers. It's
pretty good protection, but a lot of solvents will take it right off.
I bet the eastwood stuff is the same thing with a bigger price tag and
a smaller can.

Magnesium, and magnesium aluminum alloys do a pretty good job of
corroding no matter what you do.

On Feb 2, 2008, at 10:38 AM, DSPGTi@aol.com wrote:

> I have an original set of American Racing, magnesium Silverstones on
> my  TR4.
> Up till now, I have only used them in short hillcmibs and have never
> driven
> the car over 80%. Since I will be Vintage Road racing with the car,
> I'm sure
> it's not a good idea to continue with the Silverstones. They are in
> very good
> shape and I inspect them often for cracks, but I think most of you
> would
> advise  against it, right?
>
> So, if I put them in long time storage, should I consider coating
> them with
> some kind of protection? They will be stored under cover but not in
> anything
> environmentally controlled. It is often damp in our warehouse and
> the air here
> in New Jersey is a little corrosive being only 20 miles from the
> ocean.
> Eastwood  has the corrosion protection in a spray can that is just
> like some
> material that  we used in the Navy for aircraft component
> protection. I use that on
> steel  machined parts and it is easy to get off with solvent.
>
> Any advise or experience you could share with me?
>
> Dave Y.
>

> **************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.
>
>(http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?NCID=aolcmp003000000025
> 48)