fot

Re: [Fot] PVGP BeaveRun JULY 2008 A Proposal to the Friends of

To: "WILLIAM TOBIN" <william.tobin3@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] PVGP BeaveRun JULY 2008 A Proposal to the Friends of
From: Ralph Steinberg <Ralph@cloverleaf-auto.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 09:24:24 -0500
At 11:41 PM 2/9/2008, WILLIAM TOBIN wrote:
>Hi all, I did this event last July (my third ever race!) and had a great
>time. Nice track, friendly people, reasonable entry fee, good paddock, clean
>rest rooms/showers, and close to home (for me). I'd recommend it. I think
>the Peyote was there. Maybe it was a coyote, I'm getting old and get
>confused!
>Hey Jack and Tony, come on over, it's not that far from you guys.
>If you come and have a passenger seat, be sure to take part in the charity
>rides at lunch. Spectators pay $20 to ride for a lap in your race car. (The
>427 Cobra was $25). The money goes to charity and you get to do a few easy
>laps. And the passengers love it.
>Ralph is a great guy to work with. If I can be of assistance, let me know.
>And yes, it's on my schedule for this year.
>Thanks, Bill Tobin Erie, PA Vintage TR6

    Thank you Bill for your endorsement of our event. Let me fill you
all in with a little more history of the PVGPA and BeaveRun in
particular. The PVGPA started 25 years ago when a group of crazy
people decided a neat way to help some people who could really use
some help (our Charities the Autism Society Of Pittsburgh and the
Allegheny School) and have a blast doing it would be to have a street
race through Schenley Park. Well some how or another it happened and
we have been working on it ever since. I cam to my first event in
1990 working on Dave Milling's SS 100 Jaguar. A year or two later I
raced that same car on the streets of Pittsburgh and have been hooked
or ever. Some where along the line John Jacobson shanghaied me into
helping him with the event. He was the VSCCA Chairmen of the event
and under his careful eye it grew into a world class event attracting
cars from all over United States and from across the pond. The real
brains and driving force behind the entire event is Mike Connolly who
gives himself completely to this event. He has marshalled and cajoled
the city and its recourses behind this event and has put together an
army of passionate workers, who I may add work for no more than
lunch! Well between Mike and Jake I got hooked on the real reason of
this event, our charities and the great people who either by bringing
out their cars or volunteering or coming to watch make this the most
unique vintage racing event in the world. One day, much to my
surprise I became the VSCCA chairperson of the Vintage Race at
Schenley Park and during this time Mike and I came up with the
concept of the Historic Races at BeaveRun. Mike had already grew the
event into a week long combination of car shows, cruising nights and
a small rally that all ended with the Grand Prix. So what better way
to add to this event than to start of with Historic Races at a venue
where we could show off all of the cars that can not run the small
tight course of the Grand prix or for what ever reasons did not meet
the requirements of the VSCCA.
  Well 5 years ago (this will be our fifth) Mike and I opened up the
Historic Races at BeaveRun. That first year was almost a
heartbreaker. I think we managed to come up with about 45 cars,
though they had an inkling of what was to come since if I remember
correctly we ran the gamut from a few old Jags and an Abarth or two
to GT40 and Cobras! The following year the VRG came on board and with
it the expertise of Mark Plamer who many of you may know from MGVR or
the Chair of the Turkey Bowl. We have not looked back.
  My wife, Candy, has pretty much stopped racing but has taken over
many of the things that need to be done to keep the event going. Like
making sure I know where I am and remember to eat and such. She also
runs the Charity rides and to make it even more impressive she
charges $10 per ride and in two 45 minute sessions each day (Saturday
& Sunday) she raised $3000.00 with the help of all of our drivers and
volunteers. And I am never sure who has a bigger grin on their face
the driver or the little kid who just did his first lap in a race car!

Over the 25 years that the PVGPA has been in operation we have handed
close to 2.5 million dollars to our charities. And no that is not
raised but what we have given them after the track is paid for, the
streets cleaned up, the rescue people paid for and the last light turned out.
  So I want you to come on out and race or auto cross or just show
off your car and watch at one of the best vintage events anywhere in
the world. And you get the nice feeling of helping others that need
our help right here at home. Did I mention that you do not even make
your check out to the VRG but to the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix
Association, a fully tax deduct able organization.
  So come on out
  Ralph Steinberg
Director of Competition PVGPA BeaveRun