fot

Re: [Fot] TR4 race car front toe number?

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR4 race car front toe number?
From: "Steven Preiss" <spreiss@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 18:40:10 +1100
I think toe in is desirable if you want the car to center itself and be easy
to steer. Perhaps if you were running the 24 Hours of LeMans, this would
have proven a good choice. If you are on a tight course with lots of
switchbacks and elevation changes this would seem less desirable. There are
after all an infinite number of variables that must be dealt with on any
course, with the possibility also of a preponderance of any combination of
these variables.  It seems from other discussions that with plenty of
caster, negative camber and an aggressive sway bar, you would give away some
ability to dig in under hard cornering if you were toed in. It's going to be
the outer wheel that is doing vast majority of the work, and it's
orientation relative to the inner wheel would be of reduced importance.
Perhaps when turning in the inner wheel would actually be working counter to
the outer wheel? Of course all this must be affected by the amount of
available suspension travel, body roll rate, tire adhesion, front to rear
weight bias, type of rear end setup, amount of available power, etc. That
must be why it is a worthwhile and necessary investment to introduce as many
ways to adjust geometry as possible, and to spend long hours in many
different settings recording and analyzing the effects of various
combinations. I believe this is referred to as road testing, and must make
the difference between a racecar that can be driven fast, and one that can
be driven fast on any track, and win a series.
Steve P.