fot

Re: [Fot] Kas Kastner built Vitesse

To: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Kas Kastner built Vitesse
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:57:00 -0600
I didn't chime in last time this came up.  Why not keep it vintage
unless there is a compelling reason not to?  Bill, my experience is
completely the opposite, i.e. TR gear boxes are strong, plentiful and
cheap.  Most of us scrounge for out racecar spares.  If you look around,
you can find a good rebuildable 4 synchro box for $100 or less.  If you
rebuild it yourself with a close ratio gear set, you'll have a strong
box with gearing like a 5 speed less 1st gear and the total cost will be
under $1000. How much is a Toyota box conversion?

I believe SCCA did not allow close ratio gears for many years, so they
may not be legal with some vintage groups.  Nevertheless, I consider
them to be a more palatable alternative to a Toyota box.

In Kas' days overdrives were used instead of close ratio gears.  Not
only for the additional higher gear, but for splitting gears, especially
to reduce the jump from 2nd to 3rd.  Overdrives (especially A-types) are
very expensive, because everyone doing a restoration wants one.
However, an overdrive is really not necessary with close ratio gears,
because the overdrive gears tend to overlay the next higher normal
gear.  Of course you have to look at the rear axle ratio too.  Close
ratio gears with a 3.7 rear and close ratio OD with 4.55 will give
almost identical ratios for the top three gears.
Larry Young