fot

Re: [Fot] Lifter Reconditioning

To: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Lifter Reconditioning
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 09:58:05 -0700
Larry, a crown isn't proper. They call these flat lifters for a
reason--they need to be dead flat. The cam is designed to work with a
flat lifter. A crown will reduce the contact area and probably make
the lifter stop rotating. A pretty sure way to toast your lifters and
cam.

second, reconditioning lifters is pretty iffy anyway. These things
need to be as hard as they can be. Grinding them without some
hardening process involving vile chemicals known by the state of
california to cause instant death and an alchemist is scary. What you
need--what we all need, is some very hard lightened lifters with very
flat non-chamfered, non-crowned faces.
On Mar 15, 2008, at 8:15 AM, Larry Young wrote:

> Can someone recommend a shop that reconditions lifters, i.e. resurface
> the foot of the lifter with the proper crown?  I've seen a few
> places on
> the web, but some seem rather expensive, e.g. Integral Cams $11.70
> each,
> Web Cams $5.00 each.
> Larry Young
>
> You are subscribed as billb@bnj.com