fot

Re: [Fot] Lifter Reconditioning

To: vinttr4@geneseo.net, Billb@bnj.com, cartravel@pobox.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] Lifter Reconditioning
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 22:59:44 EDT
In a message dated 3/16/08 2:54:19 PM Pacific Standard Time,
vinttr4@geneseo.net writes:

<< What you need--what we all need, is some very hard lightened lifters with ve
ry flat non-chamfered, non-crowned faces. >>

The hardest lifters that I ever came across were those that I took out of an
old engine, which I was disassembling.  They did not look too bad on the
bottoms.  I took them to my machinist to have the bottoms reconditioned, and to
 cut
some metal off of the tops, as outlined in Kas's book.

Those lifters were so hard that my machinist couldn't cut them.  He sent them
to another machine shop, and they could not cut them either.  My machinist
was able to lighten lifters that I had bought.

Either the old lifters were made a lot harder, or they are hardened by being
beat around in a stock engine while being driven thousands of miles on the
highway.