fot

Re: [Fot] [FOT] paint or coating

To: lang@isis.mit.edu
Subject: Re: [Fot] [FOT] paint or coating
From: "Joe Boruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:02:57 GMT
I have had similar experiences with urethane paints.  Most are somewhat
resistant to brake fluids. They are also more difficult to sand, abrasive
blast, etc.  Be sure to wear a good respirator with fresh organic vapor
cartridges or better yet a supplied air respirator when painting with
urethanes.  Without a respirator you may become sensitized to the Isocyanates
in the hardener.  This may cause a severe athsma like reaction.  Once you are
sensitized to it, you will react to it with any exposure.  Joe(B)

-- Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu> wrote:
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, David Kettler wrote:

> Dear FOT:
>
> I'm looking for a paint or coating that is resistant to brake fluid.  I use
> Castrol GTLMA brake fluid.  I know that silicone fluid might be a solution,
> but prefer to stay with the Castrol conventional fluid.
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation on a paint, powder coat or other
solution?

When I painted my race car, I used PPG's cheap catalyzed acrylic urethane
called Omni AU. I mixed as directed 4-1-1 and the paint sticks pretty
well.

I have spilled Castrol LMA directly on several places on the body (front
left fender, driver's door and in the engine compartment) and the paint
didn't soften or lift. I was very surprised (and somewhat delighted.

I'm not a fan of silicone for a bunch of reasons. But that's like a
religious thing for car guys, and I don't want to start folks ranting on
the topic.

> Thanks.
>
> Dave Kettler

regards,