fot

Re: [Fot] sump problems

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] sump problems
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 13:57:28 -0700
> In the process of replacing the pan gasket on my TR3 I
> noticed that there is a drop of coolant that repeatedly
> collects on the left rear main cap bolt head.

Sounds more like a 'Figure 8' gasket weeping a bit to me.  If it were mine,
I'd button it up and try first some fresh anti-freeze, then maybe some
"Aluma-seal"; before tearing it down to change the gasket.

> Also, I noticed that the metal screen filter on the oil pump
> pickup has torn loose from the spot where it was soldered to
> the pickup tube. There is now a hole in the screen about the
> size of a lima bean. Does anyone have an extra of these
> filters that they would be willing to send me right away for
> a reasonable price?

They are available new from TRF (100682, $30); all my originals are at least
as bad as yours.  However, I was able to repair an original using a
technique I heard from Ken G. (I think).  Thread several loops of copper or
stainless (safety) wire through the screen and around the tube, to support
the screen and keep it from vibrating.  Then solder the broken ends back
into the original solder blob.

Randall