fot

Re: [Fot] Radiator burping

To: tony@tonydrews.com, markvaden@gmail.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Radiator burping
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 10:52:18 EDT
A few years ago, I had my machinist redo the head on my engine.  I had used
this head for a number of seasons.  After he installed some nice looking skinny
stainless steel seats, reworked the valves, etc., he gently skimmed the face
to clean it up.  This last operation exposed some very faint hairline cracks
where a piston had come up and smacked the head.

While I was using this head, I was getting all sorts of burping to the catch
tank after coming in off of the track.  The fluid would always suck back out
of the catch tank as the engine cooled.  As a result, I was never suspicious of
the cracks, though I did seem to run hotter than normal.

With the present engine head, the coolant remains cooler and rarely goes to
the catch tank.