fot

[Fot] few questions

To: "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] few questions
From: "mark eginton" <markconsultation@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 10:11:08 -0400
Hi Joe,

My son and I are rebuilding Dads old race engine. I was looking out of
curiosity at your flywheel. Beautiful design, probably beyond my needs and
finances for an aggressive street car. I am considering running an old
lightened flywheel from my dads stash. Are these motors balanced neutral so
you can replace a flywheel if it does not work out?

Dad hogged out a lot of material; when I was 16, I drove the car very hard
with this flywheel for a decade or so before replacing the engine and
putting the racing engine in the parts pile for future finances. I was going
to have it magnifluxed but my machinist said that tons of surface cracks
will mask anything serious. Any thoughts beyond fabricating a scatter
shield? I am planning an 1/8 steel band tacked to the trans cover and
anchored to the frame on either side.

The guys at BP northwest offered me quite a deal on 87mm piston / liner kit.
I have heard a couple of thoughts on these. One is that they are great
because they are thicker than stock liners, the other is that its better to
bore stock liners because the metal is better. I have a good set of 85mm
pistons and lots of liners, is it really worth the $425 to go to the 87mm.

I sent in another email to the group regarding which motor to build. I would
love to hear your thoughts. I can't wait to get this back on the road!

Thanks, hope life is treating you well,

Best,