fot

Re: [Fot] alternatives to the SCCA?

To: spreiss@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] alternatives to the SCCA?
From: GRMTim@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 23:53:42 EDT
In a message dated 6/2/08 12:13:41 PM, spreiss@verizon.net writes:

> I seem to play with mine in the garage more than anywhere else.(!) Don't
> really have sufficient resources at the present to build and campaign a
> fully prepped race car. I just want to get the thing out on a track and get
> the blood pumping.
> Anyone had any experience running vintage cars in SCCA Solo 2?

I've done that too. It is a lot of fun, but can be a bit frustrating too. The
Solo II classes have (for the most part) passed the old cars by. Few if any
are competitive. It used to be that every year a classic took one class or
another at the Solo II Nats, but not much anymore. The news cars have gotten so
good and it is so hard, especially in Stock class, to find all the fiddly bits
to make an old car legal.

Still, I can occassionally surprise a few people (most recently my 14 year
old son) with just how capable a Spitfire still is. I also ran my TR3 race car
on an autocross course as recently as last Tuesday and turned times close to a
modified new MINI.

Tim Suddard
Publisher; Classic Motorsports
and Grassroots Motorsports magazines
www.classicmotorsports.net
www.grassrootsmotorsports.com
Phone: (386) 673-4148 Fax: (386) 673-6040