fot

Re: [Fot] other venues to SCCA - Final Thoughts

To: fpspitfire@comcast.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] other venues to SCCA - Final Thoughts
From: Jay Creel <jaxonracing@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 19:52:11 -0700 (PDT)
And to beat the dead horse a bit more.  In a few years, the Miata will be a
vintage car as well and it is prepped to 2008 specs, and so are our
spitfires.  If they will be allowed, and they will eventually, will the
current spec spitfires etc still be disallowed?  Why not allow them now,
create a class for them.  People enjoy seeing these cars perform, I have had
many comments about how nice it is to see my car on the track. I am proud of
that.  I have a historically significant marque car, maybe not individually
significant but as a Triumph it is, shoot it has even graced the pages of Kas'
recent book and it is reflective of the continued interest in the car that it
has survived up to now in SCCA.  Imagine seeing 15 or 20 newly prepared cars
(bugeyes, sprites, spits) with the vintage prepped cars.  Phew that would be
great.  Even if I didn't have a car (dog in the hunt), I would still find that
thought to be great.  Like at WGI this fall,
 what a show that should be.  If this can be accommodated for this event, why
not for others?  And just like the stereotype that vintage is just a parade,
well not everyone with an SCCA car wants to dive bomb someone into the turn. I
want to win, but not at the expense of my friend's cars or my own.
It saddens
me to think I could not be running SCCA.  It was the best of the best.  Love
it or hate, you could not ignore it.  There is only one SCCA and all the rest
are just the rest in my book.    While they all have their qualities, no
organization has the history (good and bad), and I would bet everyone who has
contributed here has memories of some great racing either personally or
friends or otherwise.  As Triumph enthusiasts, how do we not want to run where
Kas and the Group ran.  It means a lot to me even if it doesn't to others.
And to be able to continue to drive the car and keep the marque going once it
is no longer an SCCA eligible car, to join those that have already carried on
the history from an earlier time of preparation sounds like it would be a
blast. Freezing the rule set effective 2008 would be welcome by me.  I don't
want my car to gain any more weight (even if I continue to)... ;)))

-----