fot

Re: [Fot] Info anyone?

To: Lunkercars@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Info anyone?
From: "Joe Boruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 23:39:32 GMT
If this is the car that I am thinking of, it was one of Bob Kilpatrick's cars,
but it was usually raced by one of his crew.  They raced it with the SCCA with
the Volvo Historic Series, which is now known as the HRG (Historic Racing
Group of the SCCA in the Northeast Division).  As I reacall, they never had
much success in getting the car to complete a race.  Last I saw it, it was at
NHIS and had lots of metal shavings in the oil.  I offered to build them an
engine that would stay together, but they did not like my price.  I heard that
they sold it to someone out west (Colorado?).  Apparently the car had raced at
some point in the 70's in the NE.  I saw it for sale at the Lime Rock Vintage
festival, which I believe is where Bob bought it from.
Bob now lives in Florida and last I heard he is still racing his MGB down
there.   Joe(B)

-- "Greg \"Lunker\" Hilyer" <Lunkercars@earthlink.net> wrote:
This is the white w/green TR4 #06 that I mentioned a few weeks ago
when I introduced Bill for nomination. Bill- what # was the car when
it was orange/yellow? Also, I've attached a comment from Jerry Van
Vlack [see below] that may pertain to your car.
Greg "Lunker" Hilyer
TR4 #314
Albuquerque NM

Greg, for what it's worth I last saw an ex Group 44 TR-4 at Watkins
Glen in 1971 or 1972. It may well have been owned by a guy from Conn,
although I thought he was from Philadelphia. I am racking my brain to
remember his name and if you have a log book from those years and can
get me a name I'm sure I will remember his name. I know that car was
an ex Group 44 car as I spent some time with the owner and looked the
car all over. At the time I was a crew for a low budget TR4 racer out
of Pittsburgh and I was amazed at what Group 44 had done to that car.
It was fast and well driven. We had a spectacular engine explosion
and spent the balance of the weekend at the local Wineries. The
weekend was combined with a Trans-Am or Can Am event. Good times.

Jerry Van Vlack

I remember his name..........it was David Manners, is that a previous
owner of your car? If yes then it is a previous Group 44 car. At
least it's the one I saw.
JVV

On Jun 20, 2008, at 12:20 PM, Bill Swope wrote:

> I recently  purchased a race prepared car that came out of the New
> Haven Ct.
> area in the 70des. There is a Former Glory Racing sticker on it.
> Does any one
> Know who this was ?  Contact?  THE car has a good size decal "
> GROUP 44
> APPROVED "
> Any one know what the history on that may mean
> Wm. (Bill) Swope
> dba C ME GO Racing
> 1030 Green Valley Rd. NW
> Los Ranchos, N M  87107