fot

Re: [Fot] VARAC Vintage Festival at Mosport

To: "Friends of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] VARAC Vintage Festival at Mosport
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 21:26:32 -0500
I've got to echo Henry's comments on this track and the
hospitality.  I drove the track back in 2002 and the memory faded.  I
remembered it being fun, but when I went out for the first session,
on about lap 2 I was thinking "NOW I remember what I love about this
track!".  It's one of those tracks that uses the natural terrain to
its advantage.  There are a number of high speed sweepers where you
get to test your bravery, some of them with blind entrances.  I found
myself hooting to myself inside my helmet on particularly good runs
through turn 2.  The format is great, 3 untimed practices on Friday
to figure out the track (or re-learn it), a qualifying session
Saturday, a race on Saturday and two races on Sunday.  Prior race
FINISHING ORDER (not lap time) sets position for next race, making
that awesome pass in an earlier race worth something (good job,
Mark!).  We had about 60 cars in our group, so getting through
traffic quickly was a significant part of the racecraft.  Frickin
awesome.  No matter what your speed, you've got someone to race with.

They did have 110 leaded at the track as well.

While it's starting to get uncomfortably warm in the midwest, the
weather there was low 70's.  They did have a few showers roll
through, but they quickly dissipated.  I remember it doing that in
2002, and suspect that is the norm.

Border crossings were non-events, other than there being a little bit
of a wait to get to the head of the line at the border stations.  For
2009, you will need a passport to get back into the US, though.  $65
at the local post office and 3 to 4 weeks later I had mine.  They
even took the picture.

They have plenty of workers, all enthusiastic, clapping and waving at
the end of the sessions.

It was one of those weekends that I didn't want to see end.  If I can
afford the time off and the tow next year, I'll certainly be
back.  It would be fun to see more of the FOT there, and I'm sure you
wouldn't regret choosing to go.

- Tony Drews