fot

Re: [Fot] My favorite memory of Jack...

To: N197TR4@cs.com, tony@tonydrews.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] My favorite memory of Jack...
From: emanteno@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 01:04:56 +0000
--===============2044329181==

--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_14623_1219194296_0

From: N197TR4@cs.com
#2.

I was standing outside the fenceline at IRP facing the RH carousel that goes to
LH turn onto the main straight.  A red Turner stepped sidways, caught the
sidewalls,  and rolled, ending up in the infield grass

The next car through was Uncle and he pulled immediately off of the track and
went to the aid of the driver.

I caught him in the pits, getting out of his car.  He put his arms on my
shoulders and lost it.                       He said,  "I thought it was Irv".

Yeah, I remember that one as well. Lots of bad things happened in that race,
and it was probably the reason that VSCDA stopped going to Indianapolis Raceway
Park. I came in after the red flag, Jack was already in the paddock. Before I
had even gotten out of the car, and with tears in his eyes, he hugged me and
told me that he thought it had been me that had rolled over.
Another favorite memory also at IRP. My first race there was in 1999, my 3rd
race ever. Jack told me that in a TR4, you could go through corner 1 flat out
in 4th. I worked my way up to it, and of course he was right. Passed several
guys going into 1 thanks to that tip. He never told me that I could do that in
corner 2 as well. He saved that one for Tony. :-)
Jack built an engine for my car, and when it was ready, I came out for the
weekend so we could put it in the car and I could take the car home. We got
everything installed, and the engine wouldn't turn at all. After much
discussion, it was determined that the new flywheel bolts were too long. I went
home that Sunday evening without my car. The next morning, around 11:00 AM,
Jack called me. He said "listen to this" and my new engine roared to life. By
11:00, he had pulled the tranny, removed the flywheel, shortened the bolts,
re-installed the tranny, and had it running.
You guys that only met him on the phone or via email and thought he was
special, you were right. The luckiest of all were the ones that got to be with
him.
Irv Korey
--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_14623_1219194296_0

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff
2px solid">
<P>-------------- Original message -------------- <BR>From: N197TR4@cs.com
<BR><FONT face=arial,helvetica><FONT size=2 PTSIZE="10">#2. <BR><BR>I was
standing outside the fenceline at IRP facing the RH carousel that goes to LH
turn onto the main straight. &nbsp;A red Turner stepped sidways, caught the
sidewalls, &nbsp;and rolled, ending up in the infield grass <BR><BR>The next
car through was Uncle and he pulled immediately off of the track and went to
the aid of the driver. <BR><BR>I caught him in the pits, getting out of his
car. &nbsp;He put his arms on my shoulders and lost it.
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<B>He
 said, &nbsp;"I thought it was Irv".</B></FONT> </FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=arial,helvetica></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=arial,helvetica>Yeah, I remember that one as well. Lots of bad
things happened in that race, and it was probably the reason that VSCDA stopped
going to Indianapolis Raceway Park. I came in after the red flag, Jack was
already in the paddock. Before I had even gotten out of the car, and with tears
in his eyes, he hugged me and told me that he thought it had been me that had
rolled over.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=arial,helvetica>Another favorite memory also at IRP. My first
race there was in 1999, my 3rd race ever. Jack told me that&nbsp;in a TR4, you
could go through corner 1&nbsp;flat out in 4th. I worked my way up to it, and
of course he was right. Passed several guys going into 1 thanks to that tip. He
never told me that I could do that in corner 2 as well. He saved that one for
Tony. :-)</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=arial,helvetica>Jack built an engine for my car, and when it was
ready, I came out for the weekend so we could put it in the car and I could
take the car home. We got everything installed, and the engine wouldn't turn at
all. After much discussion, it was determined that the new flywheel bolts were
too long. I went home that Sunday evening without my car. The next morning,
around 11:00 AM, Jack called me. He said "listen to this" and my new engine
roared to life. By 11:00, he had pulled the tranny, removed the flywheel,
shortened the bolts, re-installed the tranny, and had it running. </FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=arial,helvetica>You guys that only met him on the phone or via
email and thought he was special, you were right. The luckiest of all&nbsp;were
the ones that got to be with him.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=arial,helvetica>Irv Korey</P></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></body></html>