fot

Re: [Fot] My favorite memory of Jack...

To: <fot@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [Fot] My favorite memory of Jack...
From: "Tim Murphy" <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 21:56:02 -0500

--===============1535671122==

------=_NextPart_000_005F_01C90246.5F62B340

We're just getting started so were only at a couple of races with Jack.  =
Last year at the MOTRAH race at Elkhart Lake we were fortunate to be =
paddocked next to Jack and Tony.  I think it was Friday afternoon and I =
asked Tony where Jack was.  I had another of my inumerable questions.  =
Tony said, "Oh, he broke his diff and went back home to get his spare =
axle."  Sure enough, we get to the track next morning and there's Jack =
just finishing up installing the new axle.  Ryan and I were in awe.  =
Talk about doin' whatever it takes to get the job done!

My brother was crewing for Ryan at the Elkhart Lake Vintage Festival =
last year when I was laid up with some medical problems.  I asked him =
this week if he had met Jack Drews there.  "Sure", he said.  "When Ryan =
wanted to take me around the track during the touring session, it was =
Jack who rounded up a helmet for me so I could go."  How typical of =
Uncle Jack.  My brother still talks about his rides around Elkhart Lake.

When we were building the car I asked Jack, via e-mail as usual, which =
type of gauges were better, mechanical or electrical.  He said it was =
pretty much a matter of preference, some favored mechanical as more =
reliable but he thought the electrical ones were just as reliable.  I =
asked what he used and he said mechanical because the electrical ones =
were an awful lot of wires.  Well, being an electrical engineer I =
thought, what the heck, I can do that.  Well, I did it, but, like Jack =
said, there are an awful lot of wires!!!   Seems like it took me weeks =
to make up the wires and get everything wired in.  When I got done, I =
really understood what he meant.

It if wasn't for all of Jack's help, we wouldn't have near the car we =
have now nor would it run near as good.  Not only that, but we'd =
probably still be fixing and sorting out all the things that we wouldn't =
have done right the first time if not for his advice.  He was our "chief =
mechanic" in absentia!!  Plus, we've got all the good stuff, thanks to =
Uncle Jack, like the Southwick axle and front hubs, the front axles that =
don't flex and that gorgeous lightweight steel flywheel that was almost =
too pretty to put in the car, etc.

Tim Murphy
  ----- Original Message -----=20