fot

Re: [Fot] Beaten by equipment

To: BillDentin@aol.com,
Subject: Re: [Fot] Beaten by equipment
From: Greg - Lunker Hilyer <lunkercars@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 23:28:05 -0600
--===============0993164609==

--Apple-Mail-5-570033687
        delsp=yes;
        format=flowed

Oddly, turn 1 is the same as before [so I've ben told - never been
there before] as is 2- 7 I think. Logical place to call turn one is
currently called turn 12. It was more than a bit confusing as they
gave the green at 1 and the checkered before 12 of 13. And on
different sides of the track, apparently depending on if the person
with the flag was right or left handed I guess. Still flat-out thru
1-3 if I ignored the vibration. Turn 7 [I think] is a 300 degree
right that looks great on paper but is actually a bit of a bore.
Still a very fast track but not particularly challenging in my
opinion - 2 sessions and I knew it as well as the first 2 years on my
home track of Sandia.

Greg "Lunker" Hilyer
TR4 #314
Albuquerque NM
On Sep 15, 2008, at 7:27 PM, BillDentin@aol.com wrote:

> [...]
> about the good ones but some aren't and never will be. First time I
> ever felt the bad one was at Watkins Glen. It may well have existed
> before but my car has never been on a track that fast. So far as my
> butt and brain can tell, it doesn't come on until somewhere beyond
> 100mph. After getting the driveshaft straightened last week I thought
> I had surely got to the problem. First couple sessions at Brainard
> felt good but that proved to be a combination of wishful thinking and
> not going fast enough. It's still there. For a time at The Glen and
> again at Brainard I almost convinced myself that it was 4th gear only
> but I am now pretty sure that it is only dependent on road speed -
> i.e., it's felt near redline in 3rd and only gets worse as 4th
> progresses. Scared the speed right out of me the first time I felt it
> come on, but after many teeth grinding laps with nothing coming thru
> the block [convinced it's not engine related], the trans. case, or
> thru the floor, I've lived with it thru the last two races. Doesn't
> mean I like it and that combined with a bum oil cooler, moody starter
> [thanks again Moss Motors] and exorbitant entry fees, will likely
> keep me from going to Road America.
> Any Ideas? The drive-shaft straightening didn't seem to do anything.
> I've run it on 3 different sets of tires and wheels, so that's not
> it. U-joints are fine [by all appearances], can't find any slop in
> the trans. output shaft or the diff, input [pinion] shaft nor any run-
> out  on the input shaft flange or axles. Defiantly not coming from
> the front as it is not transmitted thru the steering wheel. Rear axle
> bearings seem to be in fine shape.
> The engine is fresh and in good balance. The trans. is new to me
> [close ratio in a TR6 case] but no recognized problems from the
> previous FoT owner. I have given the original, stock, open. 3.70
> differential a hard life since it's early retirement but I still
> can't see how that would figure in. The only unknown is my frozen
> axle shafts... As part of my recent "freshening", I sent the crank
> shaft [more on that later], stub axles, front hubs, rear hubs and
> half shafts  to Controlled Thermal Processing [http://metal-wear.com]
> to be cryogenically frozen [-300f/+300f in a 68 hour process].  Being
> unknown voodoo, I'm creating a scenario where the axle[s] have a bow
> in it [them] causing a imbalance, causing the vibration but not
> detectable from the flange end - not very likely but I'm grasping at
> straws here [oh yea, I'm still in the mid-west so it must be corn].
> Please believe me, at this point I am willing to consider any ideas
> regardless how far fetched. And maybe one [some] of you know what I'm
> feeling and have the spot-on answer.
>
> Greg "Lunker" Hilyer
> TR4 #314
> Albuquerque NM

> Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus
> the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.

--Apple-Mail-5-570033687

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Oddly, turn 1 is the same as =
before [so I've ben told - never been there before] as is 2- 7 I think. =
Logical place to call turn one is currently called turn 12. It was more =
than a bit confusing as they gave the green at 1 and the checkered =
before 12 of 13. And on different sides of the track, apparently =
depending on if the person with the flag was right or left handed I =
guess. Still flat-out thru 1-3 if I ignored the vibration. Turn 7 [I =
think] is a 300 degree right that looks great on paper but is actually a =
bit of a bore. Still a very fast track but not=A0particularly =
challenging in my opinion - 2 sessions and I knew it as well as the =
href=3D"mailto:BillDentin@aol.com";>BillDentin@aol.com</a> =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"> <font id=3D"role_document" face=3D"Arial" color=3D"#000000"=
BRAINERD before?=A0 They just re-configured that track, and (in my =
opinion) lost their signature corner (old Turn ONE, advertised as wide =
open in ANY car).=A0 I've not raced the new track yet, and I am =
message dated 9/15/2008 7:57:35 P.M. Central Daylight Time, <a =
href=3D"mailto:lunkercars@earthlink.net";>lunkercars@earthlink.net</a> =
writes:</div> <blockquote style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px solid"><font style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent" face=3D"Arial" color=3D"#000000" size=3D"2">Hello   =
all,<br>Beaten by equipment...<br>My previous posting from Brainard =
quoted the   common wisdom "you=A0 <br>gotta' finish to win". Well, I =
was reminded that   you gotta' start to=A0 <br>finish. Sunday at =
Brainard shaped up to be what   I would call "ideal=A0 =
out -=A0 <br>perfect. Not sure if excessive oil pressure from   the =
40ish temp on my=A0 <br>20W50 caused it [doubtful] or if it was just   =
it's time, but upon=A0 <br>startup for the sunday race the oil cooler =
chose   to rupture in the=A0 <br>pits and that was the end of that. =
Could have   by-passed it for the=A0 <br>next race but it was canceled =
due to conditions   too perfect for me to=A0 <br>even imagine. Oh well - =
finding out that the   top 4 finishers behind=A0 <br>me on saturday are =
all ice racers boosted my   ego enough and knowing=A0 <br>that they were =
all gunning for me might not   have made sunday quite as=A0 =
do buy better that 50% of my=A0 <br>perts from   Moss, 100% of my =
failures have been from parts they have=A0 <br>supplied.   Once again, =
my cheepo nature has proven to be false=A0 <br>economy=A0   and bitten =
me in the butt.<br>Now on to good vibrations and bad vibrations.   The =
Beach Boys told us=A0 <br>about the good ones but some aren't and never  =
 will be. First time I=A0 <br>ever felt the bad one was at Watkins Glen. =
It   may well have existed=A0 <br>before but my car has never been on a =
track   that fast. So far as my=A0 <br>butt and brain can tell, it =
doesn't come on   until somewhere beyond=A0 <br>100mph. After getting =
the driveshaft   straightened last week I thought=A0 <br>I had surely =
got to the problem.   First couple sessions at Brainard=A0 <br>felt good =
but that proved to be a   combination of wishful thinking and=A0 <br>not =
going fast enough. It's   still there. For a time at The Glen and=A0 =
only=A0 <br>but I am now pretty sure   that it is only dependent on road =
speed -=A0 <br>i.e., it's felt near   redline in 3rd and only gets worse =
as 4th=A0 <br>progresses. Scared the   speed right out of me the first =
time I felt it=A0 <br>come on, but after   many teeth grinding laps with =
nothing coming thru=A0 <br>the block   [convinced it's not engine =
related], the trans. case, or=A0 <br>thru the   floor, I've lived with =
it thru the last two races. Doesn't=A0 <br>mean I   like it and that =
combined with a bum oil cooler, moody starter=A0   <br>[thanks again =
Moss Motors] and exorbitant entry fees, will likely=A0   <br>keep me =
from going to Road America.<br>Any Ideas? The drive-shaft   =
straightening didn't seem to do anything.=A0 <br>I've run it on 3 =
different   sets of tires and wheels, so that's not=A0 <br>it. U-joints =
are fine [by   all appearances], can't find any slop in=A0 <br>the =
trans. output shaft or   the diff, input [pinion] shaft nor any run- =
from=A0 <br>the front as it is not   transmitted thru the steering =
wheel. Rear axle=A0 <br>bearings seem to be   in fine shape.<br>The =
engine is fresh and in good balance. The trans. is new   to me=A0 =
crank=A0 <br>shaft [more on that later], stub axles, front hubs, rear =
hubs   and=A0 <br>half shafts=A0 to Controlled Thermal Processing   [<a =
href=3D"http://metal-wear.com";>http://metal-wear.com</a>]=A0 <br>to be =
cryogenically frozen [-300f/+300f in a   68 hour process].=A0 Being=A0 =
bow=A0 <br>in it [them] causing a   imbalance, causing the vibration but =
not=A0 <br>detectable from the flange   end - not very likely but I'm =
grasping at=A0 <br>straws here [oh yea, I'm   still in the mid-west so =
it must be corn].<br>Please believe me, at this point   I am willing to =
consider any ideas=A0 <br>regardless how far fetched. And   maybe one =
[some] of you know what I'm=A0 <br>feeling and have the spot-on   =
  =A0 =A0 =A0=A0   =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team.net/donate.html</=
a><br><br>Fot   mailing   =
list<br>Fot@autox.team.net<br>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/fot<b=
style=3D"color: black; font: normal 10pt ARIAL, SAN-SERIF;"><hr =
style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 10px">Psssst...Have you heard the news? <a =
title=3D"http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=3Daolsty00050000000014"; =
href=3D"http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=3Daolsty00050000000014"; =
target=3D"_blank">There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall =
trends and hair styles at =

--Apple-Mail-5-570033687--