fot

Re: [Fot] Beaten by equipment

To: "Greg - Lunker Hilyer" <lunkercars@earthlink.net>, <BillDentin@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: [Fot] Beaten by equipment
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 11:40:41 -0700

--===============1659854292==

------=_NextPart_000_0035_01C91983.61295A40

The oil cooler failure was most likely caused by incorrect routing of =
the oil flow caused by an oil cooler line adaptor that routes the oil =
through the oil cooler before it goes past the oil pressure relief =
valve. It must go past the oil pressure relief valve first so that the =
valve will open and reduce the pressure when the engine & oil is very =
cold & thick. When it goes through the cooler first, the cold oil =
pressure has "surges" that travel through the lines & pressurze the =
cooler  to levels most likely exceeding 200 psi!  A number or years ago =
we blew up 3 coolers in a row in similar circumstances before we figured =
out what the problem was!. =20
    We now have proper oil cooler adaptor blocks available that route =
the oil correctly so this will not happen. They are tapped for 1/2 pipe =
threads so adaptors for whatever lines you are using can be fitted. The =
plates are machines from billets of 7075-T6 aluminum. They sell for =
$90.00 without fittings. The oil lines exit the block to the top and =
rear. The cleanest installation is done using one 90 degree hose end and =
one 120 degree hose end, then running the hoses forward along the oil =
pan rail on the left side of the engine.=20
                                                                         =
                               Greg Solow   =20
                                                                         =
                               The Engine Room