fot

Re: [Fot] dead battery

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] dead battery
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 17:15:03 -0800
> Can i wire the 2 lighter socketts togeather and charge the
> dead one enough to get it started

It can work, but you need a higher voltage to charge the battery (like
having the donor car running so the alternator brings the voltage up).
Since you also can't pass more than 10 or 15 amps that way without risking
blowing a fuse on the S10; I would suggest connecting an ordinary 10 or 15
amp charger through the lighter socket.  Give it time to work (minimum 1/2
hour, IMO, which is nowhere near a full charge but might be enough to start
it); then disconnect it before actually trying to start the S10.

BTW, don't know if it would apply, but on my Chevy I was able to lie under
the car and stick my arm up between the radiator and engine, to grab the
hood latch mechanism and open it.  After we got the battery fire out, of
course.  (How stupid, to run the hood latch cable above the battery.)

Randall