fot

Re: [Fot] 87mm liner needed

To: <cartravel@pobox.com>, <henry@henryfrye.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] 87mm liner needed
From: Tony and Annie Garmey <horizonracing@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 08:21:16 -0800
Having had this happen to a couple of engines...I invested in a torque plate !
The liner will go into a "hourglass" shape when compresse. Never had a problem
since > Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 10:07:41 -0600> From: cartravel@pobox.com> To:
henry@henryfrye.com> CC: fot@autox.team.net> Subject: Re: [Fot] 87mm liner
needed> > I've had this happen more than once. My last problem was with #3 not
#4. > I always add at least 0.001 to the recommended clearance. If I remember
> correctly, Wiseco recommends 0.003 for the 87mm and 0.004 for the 89mm. > I
use 0.005 for both and always check it by sliding an 0.005 feeler > gauge in
next to the fat part of the piston. Did you check to make sure > the piston
skirt was not collapsed?> Larry> > Henry Frye wrote:> > Many thanks to Joe
Boruch, I am all set partswise.> >> > Interesting follow-up, I brought the
offending liner and piston to my machine> > shop and they said I overheated
that jug. The piston had a black spot 90> > degrees from the crankpin, halfway
up the skirt that matched the grooves in> > the liner. The opposite side of
the piston showed a little scuffing, but no> > metal transfer yet. That is the
area of the piston that expands the most when> > hot. Apparently, I was
running insufficient piston to cylinder wall> > clearance.> >> > Here's the
kicker, this happened to the front cylinder, number 1, closest to> > the water
pump. The last place I would expect to overheat a jug.> >> > So we are going
to open up the piston to wall clearance some more across the> > board...> >> >
-----Original Message-----> > From: Henry Frye> > Subject: [Fot] 87mm liner
needed> >> > I tore down my race engine yesterday and found I have one> >