fot

Re: [Fot] Was Weber carbs now SU Questions now Spit Clutch Release

To: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Was Weber carbs now SU Questions now Spit Clutch Release
From: Glenn Franco <gaf3@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 10:09:28 -0500
Marks story sounds like a carbon copy of mine.
I picked up the 72 Spit as a basket case in Salt Lake a few years ago.
It came in boxes of parts with little explanation of what origin or
years they were from.
This car has not run or raced since the late 70's so I don't have the
experience if it worked with or without the aluminum bell housing.
As Marks car this is a Mark 4 1300, full synchro 3 rail but with an
aluminum flywheel stock disc and pressure plate.
I too pulled out the slave and I'm getting travel from the piston and
the clutch master has ~ 1 inch of stroke.
I think the aluminum flywheel is the late version but I can't say for
sure since I only have cast iron late and early flywheels to compare it to.
They seem to be similar if not the same.
The aluminum bell housing came with the rest of the parts and was
notched for header clearance so I'm assuming all the parts worked
together at some point in time.
Ted Schumacher mentioned that the aluminum bell housing uses a different
release bearing sleeve. Does anyone know how to tell the difference??

Thanks in advance
Glenn Franco
72 Spit Race Car working out the problems in Michigan