fot

Re: [Fot] SVRA to require head and neck restraints

To: Billb@bnj.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] SVRA to require head and neck restraints
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 11:57:46 EST
In a message dated 01/14/2009 5:43:56 PM Central Standard Time, Billb@bnj.com
writes:

> Bad example Billy, Motorcycle racing is far safer than it was just a few
> years ago, mostly because of required equipment (spine protectors, armor,
>neck
> protection and changes to helmets. All required at even the amateur level
> with very rare exception.

Mr. Babcock...My life is one big Bad Example.

I am sure you are far more knowledgeable about motorcycle racing than I'll
ever be.  Last year I did watch the Super Bikes at ROAD AMERICA, and I think
they're all nuts.  One year BLACKHAWK held a Speed Week and had all sorts of
racers at the track including motorcycles.  I can remember after incidents,
cycle
racers lined up outside the First Aid Station, some with limbs dangling.  In
most instances, they were not so much seeking First Aid, but rather
authorization to go back out again.  They're nuts.

This whole issue reminds me of the mandatory motorcycle helmet laws on the
books in many states, and the way a significant portion of the riders fight
these laws.  May be difficult to understand why anyone would choose to argue
against what seems to be a good law.  I guess, for some, it comes down to a
stand
against Big Brother overstepping his bounds, and Paternalistic laws.  You know,
"It's my head and my neck...mind your own business."

Incidentally, it is NOT a personal issue for me.  Wife Shirley is getting me
a HANS device for my birthday.  She was with me at GRATTAN the day Jack Drews
was killed.  That was last August.  She gave me until the end of the year to
get one on my own, and then 'mandated' it.  That's seven months...pretty much
the same as what SVRA is giving.  Difference is, I can argue with SVRA if I
choose to.  I don't dare argue with Shirley.

Bill Dentinger

PS...Bill...I always meant to ask you.  What did you think of GRATTAN when
you raced there?  It remains my favorite track.

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1215855013x1201028747/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%26bcd=
DecemailfooterNO62)