fot

Re: [Fot] Street Legal

To: "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Street Legal
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 09:20:00 -0800
> What would they look at at the DMV?

Definitely varies greatly with state (and even DMV office).  Mine let me
register a car that had no windshield, hood or trunk lid, and no rear
fenders.  The reason they gave for turning me down the first time was lack
of seats. (But I also put on the steering wheel, doors, front apron and
front fenders before going back.)  Didn't have a title either, so they had
me sign that the car had been in my possession and not on the street, etc.
... my new title is supposed to come from Sacramento by next month.  But my
DMV's supervisor is also president of the Studebaker club, so YMMV <G>

However, the police are rather more picky around here, they will stop you
for no windshield.  Apparently Brooklands style racing screens are OK, but
you must have something.

FWIW, I get by pretty good with the frame about 3.25" from the ground.  Too
high for a racecar, but anything lower drags too often on the street for my
comfort, especially on parking lot speed bumps.  One solution might be
taller tires for street use; as you probably wouldn't want to wear out your
race tires anyway.

Supposedly in PA, you can't even lower the car without getting in trouble.
They probably insist on proper bumpers as well.

Randall