fot

Re: [Fot] Hash Brown & Cheese

To: WILLIAM TOBIN <william.tobin3@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Hash Brown & Cheese
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 19:22:01 -0700
WILLIAM TOBIN wrote:
>   They had a B24 there at the same time and a friend and his brother took
> their families up in it. Their dad had been a B24 pilot during the war and
> was shot down in action over Germany. All the crew survived but were
> captured and spent time in a POW camp. The dad died a few years ago.
>   The famililies very much enjoyed the ride. Quite an experience.
>   Sorry I drifted off message a bit.

The B-24, as I recall, was restored by a guy in Hudson, MA.  I recall
the photos of it on a flatbed trying to navigate the narrow streets
leading to his hangar.

When it was flying, the Larz Anderson auto museum auctioned off rides on
it to raise funds (the owners didn't make much money on it, since it
drank fuel something fierce, and used about thirty gallons of oil an
hour).  My brother and I were going to bid on a ride for my father, and
when he found out, said, "good thing you didn't, because I wouldn't have
gone up in it--they were always a POS and since I had to bail out of one
already, I'm certainly not going to take a chance on having to again."  :)

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....