fot

Re: [Fot] Fot Digest, Vol 27, Issue 43

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Fot Digest, Vol 27, Issue 43
From: George Harmuth <harmug@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 08:26:31 -0500
"My daughter just received her driving permit.  I've taken her out driving
many times before she received her permit. "

Skip Barber has (A little expensive, but who knows what it may save
http://www.skipbarber.com/driving_school/mazda/new_driver.aspx ) a young
driver training course at Limerock, I've seen it running in the infield
while I was out for practice days. They were working on the skid pad,
follow the driver exercises and a nice one on car control. They have a few
lanes set up with cones and a set of stop lights, they would change the
available lanes, via the stop lights and the drivers had to react.
Sometimes they would close all 3 lanes and they practiced panic stops. All
of this was done with Skippy's cars, in the infield circuit, nothing on the
actual track. This is driver skill training, not competition driving. They
already think they're immortal and since they passed the license test know
everything about driving. This seemed to open their eyes up a little from
the parents I talked to at the course.

For my own kids early training started with our methanol Go Kart on the
local track and moved to skid control in the snow behind the closed Mall.
Lots of time behind the wheel, both during the permit sessions and after
they got their licences, nothing beats time on the road.,

mike

G. Michael Harmuth