fot

Re: [Fot] TR Drive Shaft

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR Drive Shaft
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 18:27:21 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 3 Mar 2009, Randall wrote:

>> I'm thinking of making up a fixed lenth shaft without the sliding
>> pline. With the diff fixed i see no reason to have the spline .
>
> Just my uninformed opinion, but it seems to me that the transmission and
> differential both move on their mounts enough to matter, not to mention the
> frame itself flexing.  Transmitting all that force to ball bearings not
> designed for side loading seems like a bad idea to me.
>
> But YMMV and all that.  Might be OK for a race car that only has to last a
> few hundred miles.

No, you're spot on. You want/need u-joints or CV joints at both end of the
driveshaft.

Aluminum is good if you want to reduce rotatating mass which helps
acceleration in 1st gear and diminishing as you move up in speed.

> Randall

rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489