fot

Re: [Fot] who worked on their cars this weekend and what did you do?

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] who worked on their cars this weekend and what did you do?
From: "Joe Guinan" <joeg@neb.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 23:07:05 -0500
I pulled the engine and O/D trans out of my street Spitfire to investigate
the cause of low oil pressure at idle.  Bearings showed little wear, but the
big end bearings on #4 and the rearmost main bearing had tiny little "pits"
in them.  What causes that?  I'm not experienced enough to understand.  Now
that I know what size I put in 3 years ago (Standard on both mains and con
rods), I'll order the HD tri-metal style from BPNW to replace them.

Also mounted the 1147 race car engine on a stand so I can finally complete
that rebuild on Jeff Senty's old car - darned career change put me way
behind schedule.  Looking forward to a couple Driver's Ed events, club track
days, and some SCCA autocrossing this year.  Gotta shake the car down and
build some skills.  Then maybe I'll be able to finally start attending a few
actual vintage races next season.  Have to do the autocrosses since they are
being kind enough to run the Nationals in Lincoln, NE.  Anyone from FOT
going to attend?  I know Robert MacKenzie is planning a trip up from Texas.
I'm guessing Rocket J. Squirrel (Rocky E) will be there.  Anyone else?  If
our local British car club or I can be of any help to anyone, please let me
know.

Oh - this doesn't really count as "work", but I bought a cheap set of 1.25"
SU's on eBay for the 1147 or one of the 1296's I have to build.  I'll be
going for "true vintage" on the 1296 engines - so I guess that means I
should use the HS2's not the HS4's.

Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE