fot

Re: [Fot] Gearbox woes

To: norlinengineering@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Gearbox woes
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@bright.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 12:38:06 -0400
Jim, tail housing breakage can be caused by misalignment of front and
rear mountings.  Example, if the front motor mounts are bolted firmly
into place and the trans mount doesn't want to "lineup" it's pretty easy
to force the gearbox one direction or another to attach the mounts. We
always found it best to set engine and gearbox in place with mount bolts
loose.  Shake the engine around a bit and let is settle where is wants.
Then tighten the mounts.  Also, using a GT6 rear "over the tail housing
strap" will help. Ted

norlinengineering@comcast.net wrote:
> Well, my "woohoo" was premature.B  We broke a tailshaft housing on the GT6
> gearbox in our Spitfire.B  This happened last year as well.B  In the past, I
> remember tracing this to the nut on the output shaft working loose, but I'm
> pretty sure that isn't the case here.B  I will get the driveshaft rebalanced
> when I replace the housing.B  Has anyone else had this problem and can you
> recommend a permanent fix?B  Has anyone tried to strengthen these housings or
> add an intermediate mount or??
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> Jim Norlin
09:55:00