fot

[Fot] Team.Net status

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Team.Net status
From: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 00:12:39 -0600 (MDT)
Yes, there have been problems with the Team.Net mailing
lists, related web pages, FTP stuff and such.  And it ain't
over yet.  It should all be fine by next week, though.

The current ISP providing Team.Net connectivity along with
several other domains and network related services is Qwest.
Saturday, May 2nd, they cut off my network access.  They have
been recieving complaints about "malicious activity" from one
of my servers.  It has happened before.  The first time I
actually spent many hours on the phone over a period of
several days and found out the nature of the "malicious
activity."

Someone too lazy or too stupid to click on the 'unsubscribe'
link for one of the mailing lists was flagging all incoming
Team.Net emails as spam.  Once I finally managed to penetrate
deep into the Qwest support to find someone with more than a
single digit IQ, it took me just a few seconds to remove the
braindead A-hole from the lists to which they subscribed.

It happened again a while back, again I took the time and effort
to finally get to the root of the problem and removed the whining
piece of human debris from the appropriate list.

This time I've had enough.  It is so frustrating to have to
go through their entire little debugging script *every time*
I talk to a new person about it:

Them:  What operating system are you running?

Me:  Unix, FreeBSD 6.2

Them:  No, I mean are you running Vista, XP or Windows 98?

Me:  Like I said, I'm running Unix, FreeBSD 6.2.  I am NOT
     running Windows, just like I told all the other ...

You know, a lot of people who just use computers as a basic
appliance would not understand the details of that conversation,
they have no need to.  But tech support people working for a
major company like Qwest?  How do people that incompetent get
through the first job interview?  Do they have anyone on their
staff who can even *spell* Unix??

At any rate, the problem that Qwest claims I have is still
not resolved, they will most likely once again cut off my
network access soon.  As I said, I've had enough.

On Friday, May 8th I will be changing from Qwest to XMission,
located here in Salt Lake, for Team.Net ISP service.  The
changeover will result in Team.Net services being unavailable
for a few days.  IP addresses, nameserver data, etc. will take
a day or two or so to percolate through the network.

So expect sporadic service over the next few days, but it should
all settle down by early next week.

Thank you for your patience.

mjb.