fot

[Fot] VICTORY at the Jefferson 500!

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] VICTORY at the Jefferson 500!
From: sgroh1@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 21:15:55 +0000 (UTC)
Fellow FoTrs,

Triumph at Summit Point!B  With excellent technical support and sage advice
from fellow FOTrs Dr. John Herrera, Craig Wensley and Russ Moore, our 1963
Triumph Spitfire #393 won the LOLA CUP in the VRG Jefferson 500, sponsored
byB Brian Redman, this past weekend at Summit Point, placing 1st overall
inB Sunday's rain-soakedB feature!B B After a full day test session on the
previous Thursday chasing chassis alignment, we went out for the first session
of qualifying Friday, mounted the rains in anticipation ofB wet
conditionsB only to find a quickly-drying track (where's the rain when you
want it?)B so were quite happy in qualifying 3rd out of 37 on now-chunked-up
rains.B  Friday's second qualifying session saw us sitting on the grid at the
5 minute signal on dry tires when itB proceeded to pour bucketsB (where's the
sun when you want it?).B  The Friday morning session times held accordingly
and I started the Saturday (dry) race 3rd, where I battled with traffic for 15
laps to finish a close 3rd behind a very quick Lotus 11 driven by Baxter
Phillips, first,B andB the two-time SCCA National Championship-winning 948
Bugeye Sprite, driven by the Champion himself, Ray Stone, second.B  No
questions arose about what tires to choose Sunday - it literally poured all
day.B  Now starting second due to the Lotus' withdrawl due to the monsoon
conditions, the Sprite and I had a blast!B B Ray held me off into turn 1 at
the start and pulled out about 100 yardsB while I acclimated to the rivers on
the track, visibility through the spray, the tiresB (finally wet tires on a
wet track, what a concept!) and fog on my visor (biggest challenge of all) -
and had an absolute ball!B  It took several laps to to feel confident enough
to press for the lead rather than settle for second - soB on lap 8 of 10, I
dove to the inside of turn 1 at the end of Summit's long front straight - Ray
moved to the right ensuring I would have to sail through a lake to take the
corner, which I was able to do - and we exited door-handle to door-handle and
continued that way through turn 2 into Wagonbend - the very fast
left-handerB and I had the speed and line to take that corner, with the
correct approach line far right, and then was able then to pull out a 4 second
gap to the checker, recording the fastest race lap by 4.5 seconds!!!!B  B  The
Hoosier rains were utterly fantastic in the drenching conditions allowing
veryB close racing with an experienced, professional competitor, which made
the day completely satisfying.B  First overall win for the team, the car ran
superbly, thanks to John, Craig and Russ, and best of all it was the very
first crew experience for my 20 year-old daughter Leah, who now knows exactly
the color of the bug which has been biting Dad all these years!B  We also have
the in-car ChaseCam video to re-live, and it is superb!B  I give the weekend a
ten out of ten!!!B  Bring on the rain!!!!

Steve Groh

#393 '63 SpitfireB