fot

Re: [Fot] who builds their own engines?

To: Bill Bartlett <BillBartlett@wingnutracing.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] who builds their own engines?
From: Steven Belfer <colordog.1@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 21:39:46 -0700
I've been working on a TR3-4 engine this weekend, I've been chipping
away at the build for a long time.  I take 3 steps forward, then 1
step back but I'm making progress.  This is my spare motor and I
thought it would be cool to have it all ready to go in the garage so
when the time comes, I just pop it in.  Unfortunately, It doesn't have
all the same trick parts as my current motor so when I do put it in, I
can count on less power as it contains a milder cam.  Also P to W
clearance is about maxed out.  The thing is, I still plan on improving
my lap times because I'm still learning the car and the tracks.

This spare motor has a simple tray that gets sandwiched between the
sump and a couple of sump gaskets and permatex black.  I was torquing
all the sump bolts down evenly until one decided to break off in the
block.  Now, I get to take the sump off again and attempt to extract
the stupid broken bolt.  Of course I don't like flipping the fresh
engine over on the stand and creating tiny pieces of metal that can
easily fall in and stick to the assembly lube on the crank. I made a
piece of cardboard that fits over the bottom of the block that I can
tape down to keep out any fragments of the bolt.  I can't believe it
broke, I was really tightening everything up carefully and it went
from tight to rubber real fast.  I bought an 11" degree wheel from
Summit and it really helps with accuracy when the wheel is big and
easy to read.  It's fun assembling the engine but I don't expect it to
be fun extracting  a broken bolt from the block.

~Steve