fot

Re: [Fot] timing issues

To: "Mark Pendergrass" <mpendy@dishmail.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] timing issues
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 09:08:55 -0700
All depends, Mark. If you have an adjustable sprocket (and it sounds
like you do or you probably wouldn't be worrying about this) then what
you really want to do is set the cam close to erson specs and then
scribe a line on the sprocket to indicate that setting. Once you have
the engine done and running in the car you may eventually stick it on
a dyno. If you do that, cam advance is one of the most important
things to play with.

The little change you see with the tensioner doesn't matter.  Remember
that when the engine is running the cam chain will always be tight on
the leading side (opposite the tensioner). You're seeing the cam chain
pulled back by the tensioner, that's more like where the cam will be
when the engine is running, only moreso. But the cam will work well
over a range of settings. If you fiddle with it on the dyno you'll be
seeing changes with settings more like 10 degrees advanced or
retarded. In my experience a degree or so has no detectable effect.

Finally, realize that absent an adjustable sprocket the closest you
can come to cam builder's specs is probably three degrees or so, and
only that with a lot of sprocket flopping.