fot

Re: [Fot] Urgent tuning help needed

To: "'fot'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Urgent tuning help needed
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 14:55:18 -0700
> At idle the HC goes way up.

High HC indicates misfiring (possibly only partially).  Might be due to
mixture too lean, but I would suspect ignition problems first.  Make sure
the Allison module is getting a full 12v, and that the coil is getting the
voltage it expects.  IOW, if the coil requires a ballast resistor, the
Allison should get power from before the resistor.

FWIW, on one of my Stags with an Allison, the shutter assembly didn't fit
over the point cam properly, and had been broken and glued.  The break was
spread open, meaning that the timing was different for each cylinder.  Also,
when I fitted a Crane (which is very similar to the Allison) to my TR3, I
had a terrible time getting the phasing just right.  Eventually figured out
that the rotor had a "counterweight" cast into it that was thumping the
pickup on every revolution.

In both cases, the engine never did seem to run quite as well with the
optical pickup, as with points.

Randall