fot

[Fot] Leaded vs Unleaded for vintage racing

To: "'fot'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Leaded vs Unleaded for vintage racing
From: "Jim" <britbits@netzero.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 16:13:41 -0500
While I'm in a regroup/research mode, what's the feeling on leaded vs
unleaded in TRs, Spitfires more specifically.

I started driving as leaded was being phased out, and there have been many
variations on the urban legends regarding using unleaded in cars designed
prior to the 1970s.

One concept I've seen has it that using a tank or two of leaded in the
"pickling" phase of a new engine is enough to add lead to the valve seats,
good at least for a street car run on unleaded.

Hardened exhaust seats are good for a street car but can potentially drop
out of the head on a race car, causing other problems :O

Obviously, if you're running leaded fuel then it's not an issue.

Anyone running unleaded willing to share their experiences?

Just trying to improve the ride.

Cheers,

Jim
Dallas
Spitfires.. And other toys

Click here to find the right business program for you and take your career to
the next level.
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2241/fc/BLSrjpYRam2xDhgIsYZ8xa764dfbmH2yIV7d5qYqv5GBXMkQOQc9f9ypl5m/