fot

Re: [Fot] Leaded vs Unleaded for vintage racing

To: britbits@netzero.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] Leaded vs Unleaded for vintage racing
From: robert bownes <bownes@seiri.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 17:44:26 -0400
Well, my race car doesn't have hardened seats, but since the cylinders are
horizontally opposed, I don't worry about the seats dropping out no matter
what. ;)

Seriously, as the owner of a '76 TR6, I looked into it at one time and had a
chat with one of the reps from Mobil who came to the SCCA National
convention a few years ago. Here's what he said:

Bottom line: Don't worry about it.

Slightly longer version: The whole hardened valve seat thing was a great way
for a bunch of folks to make money on the switch from leaded to unleaded.
The lead was handy in the early days of engines, but was pretty much
unnecessary after WWII due to improvements in metallurgy and machining. Your
valves are far better, lead or no lead at 100k miles than those made prewar
at any point in their life.

So I put whatever is available in my race cars and non catalytic cars.
Street car gets unleaded to keep the cat alive. Doesn't seem to make much
difference.

On that note has anyone seen dyno results on the same engine with different
fuels? A matrix of HP vs leaded/unleaded by octane would be interesting.