fot

Re: [Fot] Beware of Moss figure eight gaskets

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Beware of Moss figure eight gaskets
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 13:43:24 -0700
> Hmmm, I thought I had saved a link to a Youtube video of some Swedish
> fellows doing a, uh, precision lapping job on a SAAB head.

Y'know, everybody laughs at that video; but I did much the same thing to a
VW Rabbit many years ago and it worked out great.

Car was given to me with the headgasket blown between #2 & #3; and some
erosion in the head surface from being driven that way.  I cleaned it up by
hand until my carpenter's square said it was flat; total investment in the
car was some spare time and $20 for a head gasket.  Some 10 years and maybe
60,000 miles later, my stepson finished school and sold the car, still
running pretty good considering how many miles were on it.  Only other
engine work was to change the timing belt in the parking lot where it broke.

Randall