fot

Re: [Fot] TR6 Injection Fuel Pump

To: "Peter Vucinic" <pvucinic@netspace.net.au>, "Tim Murphy"
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR6 Injection Fuel Pump
From: "Charly Mitchel" <charly@mitchelplumbing.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 08:14:41 -0700
I'm in agreement with Geoff on the Lucas pump.  I've run it for several
years and only had on problem with it, about 3 weeks ago.  For some reason
it was dragging a little and only pumped to about 60psi.  I rapped on it and
it seemed to get going with no problem after that.
I also use a secondary pump to remove the fuel from the tank, push it
through a large filter and then to the Lucas pump.  The secondary pump is a
after market copy of a SU double ender.
I had problems with my injection starving on hard cornering.  I use both the
outlets on the TR6 fuel tank and had them both piped to the secondary pump,.
The problem was that if I got down to about 3 gallons of fuel the fuel would
slosh to one side and leave the other side outlet exposed and the secondary
pump would then suck air and make the PI falter.  I found that if I carried
7 or 8 gals fuel it wasn't a problem.  To resolve this issue I installed a
swirl tank in the trunk that holds about 1 liter, and is mounted below the
main fuel tank.  I can now run a 15 minute race with about 3 gallons of fuel
instead of 8 gallons.
I had tried a Bosch 058025044, which seems to be the pump everyone is
recommending, and I didn't think it performed as well as the Lucas pump.  It
seemed to move to much fuel and it drew a lot of amperage, almost 10 amps.
I went back to the Lucas and have been happy.  The Bosch pump is a
submersible pump and might be able to be adapted to fit inside a fuel tank
or cell.
When my car has been sitting outside, like at a race track and I start it in
the morning, it pumps around 118 psi.  I think this pressure is due to the
coolness of the fuel.  After the car has warmed up and the fuel also from
tank, it seems to settle down to about 106 psi. This pressure is measured at
the high pressure hose as it attaches to the prv.  I'm not sure how much
pressure drop there is to the mu and have never checked it there.  I use a
plastic tubing for fuel injection that I bought from my local hydraulic hose
supplier. The only other problem I've experienced has been a stuck and a
clogged injector and it was easily cleared using some air pressure.
Charly Mitchel
TR6 #44
.